Afghan Govt Announces Stance On Peace Talks Cancellation
The statement says that the Afghan government and the people want a “dignified peace” and that the government is committed to all efforts for peace.
But the statement has added that the Afghan government sees Taliban violence as the main hurdle on the way of the peace efforts.
The Presidential Palace in a statement said the Afghan government welcomes peace efforts by its allies and “is commitment working with the US and other allies in bringing stainable peace in the country.”
“We have always emphasized that real peace is possible only when the Taliban stop killing Afghans, accept a ceasefire and get ready for direct talks with the Afghan government,” the statement said.
The statement said that the Afghan government stresses on the formation of a strong and legitimate government through the upcoming presidential election in order to move forward the ongoing peace process with further attention.
This comes as the US President Donald Trump said he has called off peace negotiations with the Taliban after the group admitted to an attack in Kabul that killed at least 10 people, including a US soldier.
In a series of tweets, Mr. Trump said he had been set to meet senior Taliban leaders, and separately, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, at Camp David on Sunday. However, he canceled the meeting and called off negotiations after the group admitted to an attack in Kabul that killed a US soldier.
Trump said if the Taliban cannot agree to a ceasefire during