Code 238328
PublishDate: Thursday, August 12, 2021 11:34

25-Day Ceasefire In Badghis Ends, Taliban Resumes Attacks

Local officials in Badghis province said that a 25-day ceasefire between the Afghan government and the Taliban has ended with the resumption of Taliban attacks.

Afghan Voice Agency (AVA)_ Governor Hessam ul-Din Shams told Etilaat roz daily that the Taliban had resumed their attacks on security belts in Qala-e-Naw, the capital of the province, on Wednesday evening. Shams added that heavy fighting between government forces and the Taliban had continued until 3:00 am on Thursday morning.

According to him, the Taliban planned to attack Qala-e-Naw from three directions, but the attacks were repulsed by government forces. But the Taliban claim to have taken control of parts of Qala-e-Naw, including the PD5.

Previously, the government and the Taliban established ceasefire to the Eid al-Adha with the mediation of the Badghis tribal elders. Earlier, the Taliban entered the city of Qala-e-Naw and for several hours took control of the police headquarters, the National Directorate of Security, the central prison and several government offices in the province. Currently, six districts of Badghis are under the control of the Taliban, and the government controls the city of -e-Naw and part of the Herat-Qala-e-Naw highway.

Meanwhile, local officials in Herat province said that the on Herat city has been repulsed. Abdul Sabur Qane, governor of Herat, said that on Wednesday night, Taliban fighters attacked the city of Herat from four directions, facing resistance from defense and security forces.

According to him, the defense and security forces were able to repel the attack of Taliban fighters after several hours of fighting. Qane did not comment on casualties among government forces and Taliban fighters during the clashes. Clashes between security forces and Taliban fighters have continued in the city and districts of Herat province in recent weeks.

Also, local sources in province said that the Taliban have attacked the center of Ghazni from several directions and clashes are currently taking place around the provincial building and the National Directorate of Security. Nasir Ahmad Faqiri, chairman of the Ghazni Provincial Council, told Hashte Subh daily that the Taliban had attacked Ghazni province from several directions on Wednesday night.

According to him, the Taliban have reached the city center and now the war is going on around the National Security Directorate.

Tags

Your comment

Related posts

Latest news