Khanabad District Of Kunduz Recaptured By Government Security Forces
The Ministry of Defense confirmed on Monday that defense and security forces have recaptured Khanabad district of Kunduz province from the Taliban.
Afghan Voice Agency (AVA)_MoD spokesperson Ruhollah Ahmadzai said that Taliban fighters had retreated from the district with heavy casualties. He also said that the clean-up operation in the district is underway in full swing.
The district fell to the Taliban at 6:00am today. Earlier, a security source said that three government soldiers were killed and three others were wounded during a Taliban attack on the district.
The Taliban have not yet commented on the recapture of the district by the government forces. In recent weeks, however, the Taliban have stepped up their attacks on a number of districts in the country. In less than eight weeks, more than 20 districts have fallen to the group.
Meanwhile, security sources in the north of the country have confirmed that Sayyad district of #Sar-e-Pul province has fallen to the Taliban after intense clashes.
A security source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told Hashte Subhe that the district had fallen on Sunday night. The Taliban also sent a message to the media stating that the district had been taken over by the group.
Security agencies, however, have not yet officially confirmed the fall of the district. Sar-e-Pul province has been witnessing widespread attacks by the Taliban for some time.
The Taliban has even taken over parts of the provincial capital.