Code 234332
PublishDate: Sunday, May 16, 2021 15:34

Afghan Army Resumes Offensive Operations in Helmand

Offensive and counter-terrorism operations have been launched by the Afghan army forces stationed in the southern province of Helmand after the end of the three-day Eid ceasefire.

Afghan Voice Agency(AVA)_According to the 215th Maiwand Corps, the operation was launched simultaneously in the western areas of Lashkar Gah, Nawa and Nahrsaraj districts. There were clashes on the outskirts of #Lashkar_Gah, the capital of Helmand, which has seen intense fighting since the United States began its final troop withdrawal from Afghanistan on May 1, an Afghan military spokesman and a local official said. “The fighting started early today morning and is still ongoing,” Attaullah Afghan, head of the Helmand provincial council, told AFP.

The 215th Maiwand Corps also announced that 21 members of the Taliban, including the military chief of Marjah district, had been killed as a result of security forces operations.

The army command in the southwest of the country also said that these people were killed during the 10-hour operation of the army forces.

The 215th #Maiwand Corps says 13 members of the Taliban were wounded in the operation.

The Taliban have not yet commented on the matter.

A three-day ceasefire was declared between the Taliban and the government on the occasion of Eid al-Fitr.

Before the ceasefire, violence had surged in several provinces of Afghanistan — including former insurgent bastions Helmand and Kandahar.

Your comment

Related posts

Latest news