UK ‘reserve the right’ to launch new military actions in Afghanistan
United Kingdom and its allies reserve the right to begin new military actions in Afghanistan, in case international terrorism flourish and grows vigorously.
Afghan Voice Agency(AVA)_#Britain’s_military news outlet reported that Defense Minister James Heappey has left the door open for military actions if ungoverned spaces return to pose threats to the United Kingdom and the interests of its allies.
The option also remains open to provide air support to the Afghan forces on the ground against any type of terrorist threat.
The UK defense minister hinted that British military’s involvement in Afghanistan will also be reviewed.
International troops are expected to withdraw from Afghanistan by September 11th, Heappey added “like every other Afghanistan veteran, when I heard of #NATO’s_decision last week, I couldn’t help but ask myself ‘was it all worth it’?”.
However, he hopes for a successful political settlement between the Afghan government and the Taliban.
Meanwhile, Tobias Ellwood, warned that Afghanistan is head towards “another civil war”, as the Taliban rises, referring to the pull out he said, “this cannot be the exit strategy, we ever envisaged”.
Our country and military deserve answers”, he requested for a Chilcot-style assessment of what has gone wrong.
Defense Minister Heappey in response to Ellwood’s view said, “It’s not for me to agree to such an inquiry right now but one would hope the lessons would be learned”.
“Our brave military served with honor but they were let down by poor strategic judgments, that if politicians today do not understand and learn from will impede our confidence to step forward and stand up to extremism and authoritarianism in the future”, Heappey iterated, adding that “We have reached a point where the military mission has effectively culminated and what remains is a requirement for politics.”
Ellwood had previously said that If US and International troops leave Afghanistan, a dangerous part of the world “becomes more dangerous” as the Taliban control over the country expands, and once again the nation gives refuge to terrorist, and extremist groups.
UK Forces reported that John Healey, Shadow Defense Secretary of Britain in regards to Afghanistan’s US invasion said that the country was “more failure than success” for the UK’s military forces.
He addresses the Commons saying, “There certainly have been some gains – governance, economic development, rights for women, education for girls, and ending Afghanistan as a base for terrorism abroad – but Afghanistan is more failure than success for the British military.
“And now with the full withdrawal of NATO troops, it’s hard to see a future without bloodier conflict, wider Taliban control and greater jeopardy for those Afghans who worked with the West, and for the women now in political, judicial, academic and business roles,”, Healey added.
Heappey in his turn accepted the defeat in Afghanistan, he said “I’m not sure that I accept [Mr Healey’s] characterization of it being defeat. I think that many of them, as I do, will reflect on the tactical and operational successes that they had within their individual tours, within the districts that they were responsible for”.
This comes following the expression of Britain’s Armed Forces chief at Biden’s decision on troops’ withdrawal from Afghanistan.
There are currently 750 UK troops in Afghanistan.
Moreover, Ned Price spokesman to US State Department said Tuesday that the Istanbul peace conference is not meant to replace Doha negotiations.
He said the Doha negotiation “is an effort that continues to be ongoing and it’s an effort where we will continue to invest our resources, our political heft, knowing again that only through diplomacy, only through a political settlement, an Afghan-owned, Afghan-led process, will we be able to help support bringing peace, stability, and security to the people of Afghanistan”.