Code 205394
PublishDate: Monday, November 23, 2020 13:35

McMaster Calls Troop Reduction Plan ‘Abhorrent’

H.R. McMaster, a retired U.S general and former advisor to President Trump criticized recent plans for troops reduction in Afghanistan.

He said the Trump administration is handling the #Taliban a victory by withdrawing U.S troops, calling the plan abhorrent.

Pointing to trump he said,“paradoxically doubled down on all the flaws of the #Obama administration approach to Afghanistan, by conjuring up the enemy we would prefer, instead of the actual enemy that we are facing”, he told #CBS

“If the Taliban establishes control of large parts of Afghanistan, gives safe haven and support base to terrorist organizations who want to commit mass murder against us on the scale of 9/11, we will be far less safe and vulnerable to these groups,” he said. “And I think what happened is the prioritization of withdrawal over our interests led to us actually empowering the Taliban.” 

“If we were going to leave, just leave,” McMaster said, criticizing the telegraphing of plans.

Previously, Trump fired former Defense Secretary Mar Esper, a few days after Election Day, and #Christopher_Miller was announced as the Acting Defense Secretary.

Soon after the appointment of the new Defense Secretary, Miller announced the U.S plans to reduce the number of troops to 2,500 both in Iraq and Afghanistan, adding that “President Trump’s plan to bring the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq to a successful and responsible conclusion and to bring our brave service members home.”

The president took the decision in consultation with top American security officials.

Earlier, #NATO #Secretary-General Jens #Stoltenberg said that “the price for leaving too soon or in an uncoordinated way could be very high,” referring to Trump’s troop reduction plan.

Your comment

Related posts

Latest news