White House Calls On All Countries To Help Fight Taliban
AVA-The US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said on Saturday night that all countries that support peace in Afghanistan must take a stand against the Taliban.
In a statement issued by Tillerson, he said: “The United States strongly condemns today’s (Saturday’s) horrific attack in Kabul. Our thoughts are with the families of the victims who were injured and killed, and we mourn all those who lost their lives in this senseless attack.
He also said “the Taliban’s use of an ambulance as a weapon to target civilians represents inhumane disregard for the people of Afghanistan and all those working to bring peace to the country, and is a violation of the most basic international norms. We commend all the emergency services personnel for their courageous actions in responding to this terrorist attack.”
In the statement, he also said: “All countries who support peace in Afghanistan have an obligation to take decisive action to stop the Taliban’s campaign of violence.
“There can be no tolerance for those who support or offer sanctuary to terrorist groups. The United States stands with the people of Afghanistan, and we remain firmly committed to supporting the Afghan people’s efforts to achieve peace, security, and prosperity for their country.”
This came after President Donald Trump said on twitter Saturday that “we will not allow the Taliban to win”.
“Taliban targeted innocent Afghans, brave police in Kabul today. Our thoughts and prayers go to the victims, and first responders. We will not allow the Taliban to win!,” he wrote.
Saturday’s deadly bombing that claimed the lives of at least 95 people has sparked a global outcry – also because an ambulance was used in the incident.
The Taliban, which claimed responsibility for the attack in a busy area in the city, had loaded the vehicle with explosives that were detonated close to the old ministry of interior’s building, adjacent to Chicken Street, in the city.
The heavy explosion was felt across the city and extensive damage was done to buildings, shops and cars in the area.
The high casualty toll meanwhile put a serious strain on hospitals in the city, with the Emergency Hospital reporting by mid-afternoon that it was filled to capacity and could not take in any more patients.
Patients were then transferred to other hospitals in the city.
This was just the latest in a string of attacks last week that claimed in total well over 100 lives around the country and wounded hundreds more. It was also the second major attack in Kabul, following the previous weekend’s siege of Kabul’s Intercontinental Hotel.