Amnesty International Calls For Probe Into Shooting Of Protestors
AVA_ Amnesty International on Friday afternoon issued a statement condemning the Afghan security forces’ actions against demonstrators at the day’s rally in protest against insecurity following Wednesday’s deadly bombing in Kabul.
Responding to the shooting on crowds protesting insecurity Biraj Patnaik, Amnesty International’s South Asia Director, said: “The security forces’ use of excessive and fatal force on protesters voicing anger over one of Afghanistan’s deadliest attacks ever illustrates the authorities’ contempt for the lives of ordinary people.
“While there are reports that a minority of protesters used violence including throwing stones at the police, this does not justify such an excessive and deadly response,” said Patnaik.
“The people of Afghanistan deserve justice and there should immediately be an independent and effective investigation into the bombing so that the perpetrators can be held accountable,” he added.
“The authorities must also investigate the unlawful use of force against protesters and ensure that those responsible for deaths during the protest are brought to justice in fair trials.”
Protestors took to the streets of Kabul on Friday and converged on Zanbaq Circle – the scene of Wednesday’s deadly bombing - on route to the Presidential Palace.
However, in a bid to prevent them from reaching the Presidential Palace, security forces opened fire on them, killing at least five and wounding 15.
The rally had been organized in the wake of Wednesday’s truck bombing which killed over 100 people According to media reports, at least seven protesters were killed after the security forces opened fire on the demonstration in downtown Kabul.